Mr Thomas Rowland was the 9th Mayor of Wrexham (1868 – 1869) and became the 21st Mayor in (1881 – 1882). He was the son of Mr William Rowland of the Nags Head Brewery in Wrexham, he was a candidate for election to the Town Council when it was first elected, but did not receive sufficient votes in that contest as there were 50 candidates for only twelve seats. But he was elected later and served for 20 years. He carried out extensive alterations at the brewery and the street adjoining it (Mount street and Tuttle street), He was also a J.P. for the Borough, he was also a Churchwarden at the time of the restoration of Wrexham Parish Church, during one of his turns as Mayor he gave a Font to St Marks Church in Regent street. Mr Rowland married a daughter of Mr Barlow of Gwersyllt and finally lived at Oak Lane on Fairy Road, after running the brewery for many years he sold it to a Mr Aspinall. During his Mayoralty Mr Leche of Carden park presented to the council a Fox’s Head Silver Cup with regards to Watkin Williams Wynn’s return to Parliament. His eldest daughter Frances Elizabeth married Sir Evan Morris. He passed away on the 15th January 1889 aged 69 years. Researched by John Davies.
Story added by Graham L