Edwin Caldecott founded Caldecott & sons in 1872. The youngest son of a farming family living in Shocklach, he started an apprenticeship at the age of 16 with a blacksmith based at Eyton. He later moved to Wrexham and established his own business which was originally situated on Bridge Street and then a couple of years later he moved to the premises on Pen-y-Bryn where the company remains today. The trade of blacksmith expanded to coach building and the association with horse and carriage inevitably led to the provision of the service as local undertaker. In 1914 the company was incorporated under the name Caldecott & Sons (Wrexham 1914) Ltd. Over 130 years and five generations later the business remains in the ownership of the Caldecott family, one of the few remaining independent funeral directors in the area in this time of ever increasing take-overs of such businesses by national and international funeral conglomerates.
Story added by Mr C